Fair Housing Partnership
Housing InformationNews Directory Contact Us
Dots - A Fair Housing Tale
Author: Gary Earl Ross
Illustrator: Anwar Morse
More Info. | Order Form
• Affordable Housing Clinic - On April 2, 2008, the Erie County Fair Housing Partnership and the University at Buffalo Law School - Affordable Housing Clinic is hosting a conference entitled "Building Bridges to Affordable Housing". More information and the registration form can be found by accessing this brochure.
• Conference –The Partnership hosts a Western New York Regional Fair Housing Conference with over 150 in attendance. Session subjects were Predatory Lending, “Not in My Backyard” Syndrome illustrating that fair housing benefits a community, Fair Housing Laws, similarities and differences and Americans with Disabilities Act
• "DOTS A Fair Housing Tale" - "DOTS" is a children's book that explains our rights to live where we want in language that children can understand. The book was written by Gary Ross and illustrated by Anwar Morse. Link to PDF order form.
• Poster Contest – The Partnership sponsors a poster contest based on the theme “Dots - A Fair Housing Tale” to reinforce the right to live where we want. Teachers are asked to read the book to their students and are given a teacher's guide to aid in the children's creativity. The Partnership members pick the winners based on originality, content, design, appeal and craftsmanship.
• Healthy Kids Day – Activities are set in April for children as part of the local YMCA's Healthy Kids Day celebrations, including a reading of the children's book "Dots A Fair Housing Tale".
• Housing Opportunities Made Equal holds their annual gala celebration in April. Additionally, the HOME Players is a theatrical program of Housing Opportunities Made Equal which uses improvised scenarios followed by a moderated discussion with the characters to educate the public about the impact of housing discrimination and the important of fair housing.
• Speakers Bureau - Partnership members appear on local television for discussions on fair housing and have recorded Public Service Announcements on local radio stations. Partnership members are available to speak about fair housing at meetings of local organizations.
• Fair Housing Proclamations – Fair Housing Proclamations are set up with local municipalities in the early part of April as part of Fair Housing Month Activities.
• Don't Borrow Trouble Campaign /Predatory Lending - The Partnership co-sponsor seminars addressing predatory lending to different groups.
• Affordable Home Show – Partnership Members participate in an annual Affordable Home Show and provide information on the activities and mission of the Erie County Fair Housing Partnership.
• Night at the Movies –The Partnership sponsors movies as part of Fair Housing Month. The showings include “Men of Honor”, “Amistad”, and "I Can Sit Where I Want". The showing of Steven Speilberg's movie ”Amistad” brought a record crowd.
• Group Homes Affect on Home Values - The Partnership completed Phase I - Amherst, New York of their study on the impact of group homes on residential property values in Erie County, New York. The next phases will be the City of Buffalo, Village of Alden and Springville, Towns of Evans, Lancaster, Hamburg and Orchard Park. The Task Force expects this to be a long-range project.
• Insurance Study - A Task Force is currently identifying products and companies for both homeowners and renters, and the affects of insurance premiums based on credit scores, geographic areas and claims.